- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 3 large potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in oil until tender. Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Arrange a third of the potatoes in a greased 10-in. round shallow baking dish. Layer with half of the mushroom mixture, cheeses, basil and another third of potatoes. Repeat layers. Pour cream over top. Dot with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forPotato and Mushroom Gratin
"I made this tonight and it was amazing. I used fresh mushrooms and cheddar, because it was what I had on hand. I will try it with the Swiss next time. It's a keeper!"
"Recipe saved! Look fwd. to making soon as my family loves potatoes, cheese, mushrooms. Thank You for sharing, TOH!! J. Will have to curb portion for self since I must watch carbs."
"Good! Used cheddar cheese instead of swiss (not a big swiss fan) and used onions. Took alot longer to cook and did leave kinda a weird smell in the house, but otherwise yummy!"
"Heavenly!! Husband says mmmmmm. Used fresh mushrooms and onion and baked it in a bigger dish. This goes on our "favorites" list! Thank you so much."
"I used Monterey Jack in place of the Swiss, because I am not a huge Swiss fan. I also used fresh mushrooms and onions in place of the shallots. This was very taste and looked fabulous! I will defintely be making again!!"
"For first try, made to exact recipe. Next time: use fresh mushrooms. Either par cook potatoes or add another 1/2 hour to bake time. More cheese, less whip cream would work too. I'll try it in my own version next time and know it will fit our needs better."