Molasses Crackle Cookies Recipe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray; flatten slightly. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie: 77 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Molasses Crackle Cookies
"Not sure how these are diabetic friendly when sugar is involved as in white sugar and molasses. 14g of carbs per cookie is a lot. I always use sugar sub and no one can tell the difference and this cuts the carb amount. I just replace 1:1 ratio of sugar replacement. I mix a small amount of molasses with sugar free maple syrup. They don't come out as crispy but they are healthier."
"I love crinkle cookies, but these had a weird texture (probably the white whole wheat flour) and I found them overly sweet. I'll stick with my Nonnie's recipe."
"Ran across this recipe looking for low sugar desserts for diabetic spouse. They were so good - enjoyed by all family members. Did not miss all that sugar ( in fact, reduced to 1/2 cup) and flavor enormous. Skipped confectioners ' sugar."