Italian Chicken Chili Recipe
Though the list of ingredients may seem long, this recipe from Genise Krause of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin takes just 20 minutes of prep before it simmers into a heartwarming main course. Each bite brings variety in taste and texture, not to mention loads of Italian flavor.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Shredded Italian cheese blend, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chicken, tomatoes, beans, celery, onion, red pepper, wine or broth, chili powder, oregano, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- 2. Stir in the zucchini and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups: 243 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Chili
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC