Though the list of ingredients may seem long, this recipe from Genise Krause of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin takes just 20 minutes of prep before it simmers into a heartwarming main course. Each bite brings variety in taste and texture, not to mention loads of Italian flavor.
Recommended: 20 Scrumptious Healthy Soups from Your Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Shredded Italian cheese blend, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chicken, tomatoes, beans, celery, onion, red pepper, wine or broth, chili powder, oregano, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in the zucchini and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Italian Chicken Chili in Simple & Delicious September/October 2007, p50
Reviews forItalian Chicken Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review