Instant Potato Gnocchi Recipe
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- Pasta sauce of your choice
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Place potato flakes in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; add egg. Stir in flour and seasonings. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- 2. Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- 3. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon. Serve with sauce; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 250 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Instant Potato Gnocchi
"This was my first effort at making gnocchi and I didn't have a gnocchi board. I used our tried and true family red sauce recipe so it was delicious, but following the recipe exactly, I thought the dough was way too dry and I had to add a fair amount of water to get the dough to bind together. Once my gnocchi board arrived from Amazon I will try another recipe using less flour."
"This was a real hit for dinner last night. I did change it up a bit. I made mashed potatoes and doubled the spices. They came out very soft and yummy."
"This is good, but I am still working on my technique so the gnocchi isn't as tough."
"Cool the potatoes to luke warm before adding the egg or you'll have scrambled egg in this recipe. I wouldn't change anything else. This is a modern recipe the young people should enjoy!"
"This was very easy to make and my husband and I really enjoyed it. I agree with other posters I think I will change up the spices maybe adding Italian seasoning and oregano. This is a keeper!"
"I love this recipe! the best part is I can always put some uncooked gnocchi aside for a nice lunch the next day. The kids and hubby enjoyed it"
"easy to make and yummy! I would add more seasoning next time (maybe some italian seasoning)"