- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- Pasta sauce of your choice
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place potato flakes in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; add egg. Stir in flour and seasonings. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon. Serve with sauce; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forInstant Potato Gnocchi
"This was my first effort at making gnocchi and I didn't have a gnocchi board. I used our tried and true family red sauce recipe so it was delicious, but following the recipe exactly, I thought the dough was way too dry and I had to add a fair amount of water to get the dough to bind together. Once my gnocchi board arrived from Amazon I will try another recipe using less flour."
"This was a real hit for dinner last night. I did change it up a bit. I made mashed potatoes and doubled the spices. They came out very soft and yummy."
"This is good, but I am still working on my technique so the gnocchi isn't as tough."
"Cool the potatoes to luke warm before adding the egg or you'll have scrambled egg in this recipe. I wouldn't change anything else. This is a modern recipe the young people should enjoy!"
"This was very easy to make and my husband and I really enjoyed it. I agree with other posters I think I will change up the spices maybe adding Italian seasoning and oregano. This is a keeper!"
"I love this recipe! the best part is I can always put some uncooked gnocchi aside for a nice lunch the next day. The kids and hubby enjoyed it"
"easy to make and yummy! I would add more seasoning next time (maybe some italian seasoning)"