- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg white or 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cover raisins with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 2. Whisk together next six ingredients. In another bowl, combine molasses, butter, egg white and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and raisins (batter will be wet).
- 3. Divide batter in half; spread each half (wetting hands, if necessary) into a 12x2-in. rectangle 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until edges are lightly browned and set, 10-15 minutes.
- 4. Transfer rectangles to a cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1-1/2-in. bars. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1 dozen.
1 bar: 122 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Hermits
"I thought these were more like biscotti hermits. Mine came out a little bit on the dry side. My family enjoyed them but I do not think I will make them again."
"I baked this for a Xmas party. I added colorful sugar free candies. Saran wrap and a big red bow turned a batch into a present."