Creamy Wild Rice Soup with Ham Recipe
Angie Schramm from Yankton, South Dakota makes this comforting soup year-round...and after a few spoonfuls, you'll likely do the same. Pecans, ham and carrots are a few of the ingredients that will have you asking for more.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Green onion strips, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrot and pecans in butter for 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the ham, pepper and wild rice. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 3. Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil). Garnish with green onion strips if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Wild Rice Soup with Ham
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2015
"Delicious. I usually add a bit more shredded carrot."
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2015
"Really good... pretty easy... love the pecans in it, the crunch was perfect... very hearty. Will make again."
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC