- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Green onion, cut into thin strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions, carrot and pecans in butter for 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the ham, pepper and wild rice. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with green onion if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Wild Rice Soup with Ham
"Delicious. I usually add a bit more shredded carrot."
"Really good... pretty easy... love the pecans in it, the crunch was perfect... very hearty. Will make again."