Chocolate Pound Cake
- 8 milk chocolate bars (1.55 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat. Mixture will begin to harden.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in nuts if desired.
- 3. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan or fluted tube pan. Bake for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.
1 slice: 353 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 1, 2019This was a very tasty cake! I love chocolate pound cakes and this one did not disappoint. I made the recipe as indicated and included the nuts (since I'm a big fan of the added taste and texture of nuts). The end result was wonderful! Slicese of this cake are great topped with wipped cream or vanilla ice cream (or both!).
Feb 12, 2015
I made this pound cake for work at one time and it has been requested for our Valentine's Day snacks this year, again. It is great as it is!
Dec 31, 1969
Everyone loved this cake (even all the kids I made it for)! Pair it with some vanilla ice cream, or whip cream. Delicious!!!
Dec 15, 2012
I make this pound cake all the time and simply love it:) It is my favorite pound cake recipe!