Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar. Stir in coffee granules and bittersweet chocolate.
- 2. In small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; spread melted semisweet chocolate to 1/8-in. thickness. Refrigerate for 20 minutes; chop coarsely.
- 5. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full with custard; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.)
- 6. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. For each batch, stir in some of the chopped chocolate, almonds and toffee bits. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
3/4 cup: 675 calories, 46g fat (25g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream
"Creamy chocolate goodness!"
"My family doesn't like chocolate ice cream, but they devoured an entire batch in less than 20 minutes. I like serving the mix-ins on the side. The texture is so smooth that some prefer it without the mix-ins."
"This is a wonderful recipe. I've made it more than once with great results. I did not make the "add-ins", and it was fine w/o them."