- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar. Stir in coffee granules and bittersweet chocolate.
- In small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; spread melted semisweet chocolate to 1/8-in. thickness. Refrigerate for 20 minutes; chop coarsely.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full with custard; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.)
- Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. For each batch, stir in some of the chopped chocolate, almonds and toffee bits. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Reviews forChocolate Crunch Ice Cream
"Creamy chocolate goodness!"
"My family doesn't like chocolate ice cream, but they devoured an entire batch in less than 20 minutes. I like serving the mix-ins on the side. The texture is so smooth that some prefer it without the mix-ins."
"This is a wonderful recipe. I've made it more than once with great results. I did not make the "add-ins", and it was fine w/o them."