Blueberry Upside-Down Skillet Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and toasted almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, melt cubed butter over medium-low heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in orange juice; sprinkle with blueberries.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter and extract until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Pour over blueberries.
- 3. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Top as desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice (calculated without whipped cream): 454 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Upside-Down Skillet Cake
"Delicious! My kids and husband loved it, even the blueberry hater. I cut the amount of butter and sugar in the topping by half and it was perfect."
"This sounds tasty!"
"Delicious! Absolutely Delicious! I did not have orange juice, so I made a little mixture of lemon juice, water, and sugar. I also cut the butter in the batter to 1/4 cup, and added 1/3 cup of sour cream to make sure it stayed nice and moist. I had to walk away from this dessert. Too Good!"
"Thank you for publishing my recipe! Nettie from Moore or Less Cooking, http://mooreorlesscooking.com, one of my favorite blueberry cakes!!!"