Berry-Stuffed French Toast
- RASPBERRY SYRUP:
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 18 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar and additional raspberries, optional
- 1. For syrup, combine raspberries, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until syrup reaches desired consistency, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream. Spread about 3 tablespoons on each slice of bread. Combine preserves and vanilla; spread over cream cheese mixture on nine slices. Top with remaining bread, cream cheese side down, to make a sandwich.
- 3. In a shallow bowl, combine the eggs, cream and cinnamon. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture. Cook on a hot greased griddle until golden brown, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- 4. Cut in half diagonally. Serve with raspberry syrup. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and garnish with raspberries.
1 each: 513 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Dec 10, 2009
This is my husband's favorite breakfast! You can't go wrong with this recipe. The syrup is wonderful on many things! Yum - O!