Basic Homemade Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Basic Homemade Bread
"This recipe was given to me by my neighbor. I thought I would make it today and it turned out horrible. OMG, it was terrible. The bread did not rise at all. I'm not sure why this happened ? I'm not sure why everyone has given this bread recipe five stars? If I could I would give it zero. I have made bread before and it always turned out great. I followed the directions to the tee. I am thinking I should have used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour. I am very disappointed I'm planning on throwing this recipe in the garbage. I plan on making bread from the youtube channel (Jenny Can Cook.) Now, JENNY can make delicious bread and it turns out good every time."
"This is an excellent recipe...Its so easy and so good. I halved both loaves (after the first halves) to make twists, then egg washed and sesame seeds. Beautiful loaves."
"Love this bread. I make it at lease twice a month. Comes out perfect every time."
"I love this bread. Eady to make and wonderful."
"This is THE best, and easiest bread recipe. I made a few adjustments but the foundation recipe for ingredients, measures and prep/cooking were straight from this recipe. [(I used bread flour instead of AP flour, olive oil on place of the canola (that's what I had on hand), and threw in some savory spices to give it a kick and it rose up better than any recipe I'd ever used, plus I put a dash of olive oil in the dough because I read that bread flour dough can be dry.]"
"Real good but i couldnt get it to fit to well in my microwave but once i put it in a bowl it fit just fine, it tasted even better with cinnamon on it, trust me!!!"