- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews forBasic Homemade Bread
"This is an excellent recipe...Its so easy and so good. I halved both loaves (after the first halves) to make twists, then egg washed and sesame seeds. Beautiful loaves."
"Love this bread. I make it at lease twice a month. Comes out perfect every time."
"I love this bread. Eady to make and wonderful."
"This is THE best, and easiest bread recipe. I made a few adjustments but the foundation recipe for ingredients, measures and prep/cooking were straight from this recipe. [(I used bread flour instead of AP flour, olive oil on place of the canola (that's what I had on hand), and threw in some savory spices to give it a kick and it rose up better than any recipe I'd ever used, plus I put a dash of olive oil in the dough because I read that bread flour dough can be dry.]"
"Real good but i couldnt get it to fit to well in my microwave but once i put it in a bowl it fit just fine, it tasted even better with cinnamon on it, trust me!!!"
"If you are looking for bread your grandma made you fond it. I believe make great rolls cinnamon rolls . I used my stand mixer to make the dough , I have been making bread for some time this is the best I have found .Be sure to let your bread cool down you my not be able to cut it until next day . I don't how old my yeast is it came from a food bank in a bag we put in a pizza jar and keep it in the relegate ."