Zippy Egg Casserole Recipe
“This casserole has a bit of a zip to it because of the Pepper Jack cheese,” says Anita Jones of Raytown, Missouri. “Instead of plain white bread, it uses seasoned croutons, which give it more flavor.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 package (5-1/2 ounces) seasoned salad croutons
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces ) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place the croutons in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses and sausage.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour over the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC