This tender marinated chicken gets its zing from chili powder and cumin. For variety, Naheed Saleem of Stanford, Connecticut sometimes adds a tablespoon of tomato paste to the marinade or replaces the chili powder with chopped green chilies. It's a surefire hit of summer cookouts.
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + marinating Grill: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup fat-free yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon
- juice, oil, ginger, sugar and seasonings; add chicken. Seal bag and
- turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper
- towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Prepare the grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken
- over drip pan and grill chicken, covered, bone side down over
- indirect medium heat for 2 minutes. Turn; grill 25-35 minutes longer
- or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 chicken breast half) equals 149 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium,