Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon Dressing Recipe
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, sliced
- 1. In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce and onion; set aside.
- 2. Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with another paper towel; microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels.
- 3. In a small microwave-safe dish, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons bacon drippings, vinegar, sugar and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds or until sugar is dissolved; stir until smooth.
- 4. Pour over lettuce; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add bacon and egg; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 95 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon Dressing
"This is one of my favorite summer salads. And this version is very good. Not too sweet and not too sour. I love the addition of the onions. I sliced mine paper thin. I used Romaine lettuce and all ingredients for the salad were at room temperature. I doubled the recipe and I felt that we could have used a bit more dressing. It was most enjoyable !JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Field Editor"
"My husband (not a salad-eater) actually finished his entire bowl of salad!!! I used 2 eggs; I like eggs in my salad. Also, used pan-fried turkey bacon (it's healthier) for the bacon bits. Had to use a slice of microwaved regular bacon to get the drippings though (turkey bacon doesn't give off drippings). Very tasty!"