Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon Dressing Recipe
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- 1. In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce and onion; set aside.
- 2. Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with another paper towel; microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels.
- 3. In a small microwave-safe dish, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons bacon drippings, vinegar, sugar and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds or until sugar is dissolved; stir until smooth.
- 4. Pour over lettuce; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add bacon and egg; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 95 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon Dressing
"Easy and yummy! My husband generally does not eat salad; but he enjoyed this one!"
"My husband (not a salad-eater) actually finished his entire bowl of salad!!! I used 2 eggs; I like eggs in my salad. Also, used pan-fried turkey bacon (it's healthier) for the bacon bits. Had to use a slice of microwaved regular bacon to get the drippings though (turkey bacon doesn't give off drippings). Very tasty!"