- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, sliced
- In a salad bowl, combine the lettuce and onion; set aside.
- Place the bacon in a microwave-safe dish; cover with a microwave-safe paper towel. Cook on high for 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels.
- In a 1-cup microwave-safe dish, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons bacon drippings, vinegar, sugar and water. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1 minute. Pour over lettuce; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add bacon and egg; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forWilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon Dressing
"This is one of my favorite summer salads. And this version is very good. Not too sweet and not too sour. I love the addition of the onions. I sliced mine paper thin. I used Romaine lettuce and all ingredients for the salad were at room temperature. I doubled the recipe and I felt that we could have used a bit more dressing. It was most enjoyable !JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Field Editor"
"My husband (not a salad-eater) actually finished his entire bowl of salad!!! I used 2 eggs; I like eggs in my salad. Also, used pan-fried turkey bacon (it's healthier) for the bacon bits. Had to use a slice of microwaved regular bacon to get the drippings though (turkey bacon doesn't give off drippings). Very tasty!"