White Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating will after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 581 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for White Chocolate Banana Cake
"I have always received rave reviews whenever I have made this cake - even from some people who claimed not to be banana cake lovers. It has always come out so moist - yum! I have followed the suggestion of previous reviewers and added less icing sugar to the frosting."
"Wonderful - easy - makes good use of those left over banana's"
"Very good, moist cake. Used melted semi sweet chocolate chips instead of white chocolate and I threw in a couple of cups of blueberries and use blueberry sauce instead of frosting. Delicious!"
"This is a familly favorite and we make it a lot. It is a wonderful cake and yes, make it the day before you want to eat it. Flavors meld and gets moister with time. Must make in layers like this and not cupcakes or 9x13. Not as moist or good otherwise. I always line bottom of pans with parchment and make sure not to over cook. Also, icing is always made to taste so taste it before adding more powdered sugar. I usually make with 3.5 to 4 cups of sugar because I want to taste the cream cheese and not just sweetness. Must try!!!"
"Lovely cake. Gets better next day as flavours meld....."Icing is too sweet," that was my 5 year old grand daughters comment and she is right. I will make again but make icing less sweet. and less of."
"I would never make this cake once - 581 calories per slice!"
"This cake is so moist. I put it in a 9 X 13 pan and bake it 55 minutes. I have made this many times and it is always good."
"It has a real banana test, really good. Would make again, did butter instead of shortening. Would try more white chocolate. Frosting I change because of the comments that I appreciate. Only 1/2 cup butter and 3 cups sugar."
"Going to make this tonight. It looks so good! I am going to change a few things though, because of what I have on hand......Making the cake the way it says except I'm putting it into a bunt pan. And instead of the frosting, I'm going to drizzle with melted white chocolate. Will let you know how it turns out!"
"Excellent cake recipe. Not too heavy. I didn't have white baking chocolate so I grated Nestle white morsels and added them to the batter at the end. I only wanted a one layer cake so I make cupcakes with the rest of the batter - they were a huge hit. I didn't use the frosting recipe. I topped with whipped cream and a cherry. This recipe is a keeper."
"Made this cake for our Fourth of July party, and it was a hit! Didn't change a thing in the recipe. Can't wait till the bananas get ripe so I can make it again!"
"My family loved this cake. I used less powdered sugar in the icing."
"This was a really good cake. I agree with the other folks... too much frosting. Luckily, I read ahead of time and used 4 cups of confectioners sugar and it was still too much. i am guessing 3 - 3.5 cups would cover it."
"I thought this recipe was AWESOME!!! I will definitly prepare it again! Thanks for sharing:)"
"I agree about the frosting--I use a 1 lb. box (3 1/2 cups) of sugar, and it is plenty sweet!"
"The cake part was very good, but all you can taste in the frosting is the 5 CUPS of sugar...I would taste the frosting before putting on cake to make sure you like it."
"Mine doesn't look just like the picture but HOT DOG IT IS SUPER GOOD!!!! They definately deserved the award! Thanks sooo much for the recipe!"
"Absolutely one of the best cakes I've ever made.M.B. Texas"
"When I mentioned the recipe contest to my husband, he immediately suggested I enter this extra special cake. Packed with ripe bananas and white chocolate in the batter, it tastes wonderful even without the frosting.View this recipe now"