White Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
When I mentioned the recipe contest to my husband, he immediately suggested I enter this extra special cake. Packed with ripe bananas and white chocolate in the batter, it tastes wonderful even without the frosting.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating will after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 581 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 88 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC