- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating will after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in chocolate.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forWhite Chocolate Banana Cake
"This is a very good cake and one of my family's' favorites."
"Wonderful - easy - makes good use of those left over banana's"
"This is a familly favorite and we make it a lot. It is a wonderful cake and yes, make it the day before you want to eat it. Flavors meld and gets moister with time. Must make in layers like this and not cupcakes or 9x13. Not as moist or good otherwise. I always line bottom of pans with parchment and make sure not to over cook. Also, icing is always made to taste so taste it before adding more powdered sugar. I usually make with 3.5 to 4 cups of sugar because I want to taste the cream cheese and not just sweetness. Must try!!!"
"Lovely cake. Gets better next day as flavours meld....."Icing is too sweet," that was my 5 year old grand daughters comment and she is right. I will make again but make icing less sweet. and less of."
"I would never make this cake once - 581 calories per slice!"
"It has a real banana test, really good. Would make again, did butter instead of shortening. Would try more white chocolate. Frosting I change because of the comments that I appreciate. Only 1/2 cup butter and 3 cups sugar."
"Going to make this tonight. It looks so good! I am going to change a few things though, because of what I have on hand......Making the cake the way it says except I'm putting it into a bunt pan. And instead of the frosting, I'm going to drizzle with melted white chocolate. Will let you know how it turns out!"