Weeknight Beef Skillet Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked yolk-free whole wheat noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and pepper over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning and, if desired, sugar to beef mixture; bring to a boil. Stir in vegetables; heat through. Serve with noodles; sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Do not cook noodles. Freeze cooled meat mixture in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook noodles according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups beef mixture with 3/4 cup noodles : 400 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 11g fiber), 31g protein Diabetic Exchanges:3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Weeknight Beef Skillet
"Did not care for this recipe."
"This is a good recipe. I will adjust the sugar next time I make it. 2 Tbsp did make it very sweet. My husband definately noticed the sugar. I don't care for green pepper so I substitued chopped onion and used a country trio vege consisting of corn, carrots and green beans. I had all ingredients on hand already so I was pleased I didn't have to run out to the store."
"forgot to mention I left out the sugar and salt."
"A recipe shouldn't be rated low b/c it isn't "special". This recipe was excellent and perfect for a quick week night dinner. I added onion & a can of diced tomatoes & 2 cloves of garlic."
"This wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything special."
"Not a bad recipe, but it needs some tweaking, unless you like your sauce really sweet!"