Virginia Box Bread Recipe
This recipe for "melt in your mouth" rolls was given to me over 40 years ago when we lived in the South. My family has been known to devour them as soon as they come out of the oven! Dividing the dough into rolls in the pan is a time-saver.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs, butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 16 pieces. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, separate into rolls. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 140 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC