Virginia Box Bread Recipe
This melt-in-your-mouth recipe was given to me when I lived in the South. Cutting the dough in the baking pan lets you easily separate the rolls for serving. My family devours these tender treats as soon as they come out of the oven! —Thelma Richardson, La Crosse, Wisconsin
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs, butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 16 pieces. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 4. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, separate into rolls. Yield: 16 servings.
1 each: 140 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Virginia Box Bread
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2009
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC