- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add eggs, sugar, salt, butter and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch the dough down. On a lightly floured board, roll dough into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer dough to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 14 even squares. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, separate into rolls. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forVirginia Box Bread
"I have been making these for years and they are perfect every time!"