- one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed
- mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. heart-shaped pans. Bake at
- 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Slice 10 strawberries; set aside. Dip remaining whole strawberries
- into melted chocolate, about three-fourths to top; allowing excess
- to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate
- until set.
- For frosting, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar in a large
- bowl until light and fluffy; gradually add water, beating until
- smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Set
- aside to set, about 30 minutes.
- For icing, heat chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan over
- medium heat until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Spread
- over frosted cake until smooth. Refrigerate until set.
- Before serving, arrange two rows of sliced strawberries on top of
- cake in a heart shape. Fill center with chocolate shavings and dust
- with confectioners' sugar if desired. Place dipped strawberries
- around base. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 1,043 calories, 42 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 460 mg sodium, 169 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.