Victorian Strawberry Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 package (32 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate shavings and additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine water and cocoa until blended; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. heart-shaped pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Slice 10 strawberries; set aside. Dip remaining whole strawberries into melted chocolate, about three-fourths to top; allowing excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set.
- 4. For frosting, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; gradually add water, beating until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Set aside to set, about 30 minutes.
- 5. For icing, heat chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Spread over frosted cake until smooth. Refrigerate until set.
- 6. Before serving, arrange two rows of sliced strawberries on top of cake in a heart shape. Fill center with chocolate shavings and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Place dipped strawberries around base. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece: 1043 calories, 42g fat (20g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 169g carbohydrate (134g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Victorian Strawberry Chocolate Cake
"I would make this recipe again because its a creative Victorian Cake. I made this with my friends and family. Its Wonderful. :):):):):):):)"
"I have not made this cake per the recipe. Have used the idea of it, for the sake of expediency, and used a box mix and canned frosting for a church bake sale. Turned out great. Looked fabulous and sold for $30.00. I recommend trying to get strawberries that are not super large."
"I have made this cake on special occassions numerous times and it tastes as wonderful as it looks! I've had many rave reviews on it and there's never any left. Beautiful cake!! Thank you for sharing. Carrie Quinn"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.