- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 package (32 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate shavings and additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine water and cocoa until blended; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. heart-shaped pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Slice 10 strawberries; set aside. Dip remaining whole strawberries into melted chocolate, about three-fourths to top; allowing excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set.
- For frosting, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; gradually add water, beating until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Set aside to set, about 30 minutes.
- For icing, heat chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Spread over frosted cake until smooth. Refrigerate until set.
- Before serving, arrange two rows of sliced strawberries on top of cake in a heart shape. Fill center with chocolate shavings and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Place dipped strawberries around base. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forVictorian Strawberry Chocolate Cake
"I would make this recipe again because its a creative Victorian cake. I made this with my friends and family. Its Wonderful. :):):):):):):)"