Vegetarian Sloppy Joes Recipe
The meat won’t be missed in my version of sloppy joes. It tastes like the classic recipe, but is lower in fat and a great option for vegetarians. —Linda Winter, Oak Harbor, Washington
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in meat crumbles and pepper; heat through.
- 2. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until blended. Stir in ketchup and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 273 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 815 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC