- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in meat crumbles and pepper; heat through.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until blended. Stir in ketchup and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forVegetarian Sloppy Joes
"My son and I made this tonight. My son got the idea of saut?ing kale and carrot greens and topping the burgers with them. Excellent idea!"
"I have just recently became a vegetarian and this was one of the first recipes I tried. I added red pepper flakes and a dash of hot sauce and these were delicious!"
"I highly recommend using tomato paste instead of sauce and add green peppers after you cook the onions. Makes a world of difference."
"Wow! I love this! I don't really remember what meat-atarian sloppy joes taste like, but I'm SURE this is better. We also used home made tomato sauce. Mmmmm..."
"This was pretty good..and I'm not a fan of vegetarian meat substitute."
"These are delicious!"
"These are delicous!"