Two-Cheese Ziti Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook ziti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheeses until melted.
- 2. Drain ziti; add to sauce and stir to coat. Transfer to a shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter; stir in cheeses. Sprinkle over ziti. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through and topping is lightly browned. Yield: 5 servings.
3/4 cup equals 340 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 590 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.