Turkey-Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
- 5 medium green, red or yellow peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 pounds extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar-flavored lactose-free or other cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Cut peppers lengthwise in half; remove seeds. Place in a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook and crumble turkey with onion, garlic and seasonings over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly. Stir in tomatoes, cheese and bread crumbs.
- 3. Fill with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and peppers are tender, 20-25 minutes. Yield: 5 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves: 323 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 40g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Turkey-Stuffed Bell Peppers
"I have made this dish more than once and loved it ! I used more tomatoes and also added a new ingredient-a carrot-finely grated. Some of it added raw to meat and some-sauteed with onion. I omitted cheese. Great and good for you ! I do not like rice, so this is a great alternative for me and my family. the Best."
"Peppers had a good flavor. I found the filling a bit dry, as often is the case with ground turkey. I used fresh tomatoes. Next time I may try canned tomatoes and use the excess juice to add some moisture. I only used 1 lb of turkey and 4 peppers, adjusting the remaining ingredients. Also used regular cheese :)"
"I confess that I also used real cheese, and also substituted a can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh. I will also confess that I don't usually like stuffed bell peppers, but my husband requested them. This recipe has totally changed my opinion! These peppers were absolutely delicious! Perfectly seasoned, nice and filling . . . I'll be making them again!"
"My first time making AND eating stuffed bell peppers...my dinner guest said that they were the best she'd ever had!"
"Turkey tends to be bland and the recipe did a good job of bringing some of it out.The next time I try this, I will use goat cheese, and lots of it. I tried that on a turkey meatloaf, and it was great."
"Yeah, I used real cheese. Sorry healthy people!"
"We love this stuffed pepper recipe! We found it in the healthy Cooking magazine a few years ago, and we make them all the time. Our 2 year old son even really likes them. I highly recommend them!"