- 5 medium green, red or yellow peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 pounds extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar-flavored lactose-free or other cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cut peppers lengthwise in half; remove seeds. Place in a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook and crumble turkey with onion, garlic and seasonings over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly. Stir in tomatoes, cheese and bread crumbs.
- Fill with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and peppers are tender, 20-25 minutes. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forTurkey-Stuffed Bell Peppers
"A fairly simple meal to throw together. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meat mixture. I had varying opinions on the pepper hearing "It was good" or "I would have like the pepper a little softer". They all ate it and there weren't any scraps thrown in the trash so I'd say a winner."
"This is a delicious recipe which I've now made quite a few times. My husband loves it, especially with the paprika on top. The only thing I've really changed is instead of using Italian seasoning, I use Italian style breadcrumbs. I also use roasted garlic seasoning rather than minced garlic. It's an easy recipe and lasts us for a few meals which is perfect in a busy household!"
"I have made this dish more than once and loved it ! I used more tomatoes and also added a new ingredient-a carrot-finely grated. Some of it added raw to meat and some-sauteed with onion. I omitted cheese. Great and good for you ! I do not like rice, so this is a great alternative for me and my family. the Best."
"Peppers had a good flavor. I found the filling a bit dry, as often is the case with ground turkey. I used fresh tomatoes. Next time I may try canned tomatoes and use the excess juice to add some moisture. I only used 1 lb of turkey and 4 peppers, adjusting the remaining ingredients. Also used regular cheese :)"
"I confess that I also used real cheese, and also substituted a can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh. I will also confess that I don't usually like stuffed bell peppers, but my husband requested them. This recipe has totally changed my opinion! These peppers were absolutely delicious! Perfectly seasoned, nice and filling . . . I'll be making them again!"
"My first time making AND eating stuffed bell peppers...my dinner guest said that they were the best she'd ever had!"
"Yeah, I used real cheese. Sorry healthy people!"
"We love this stuffed pepper recipe! We found it in the healthy Cooking magazine a few years ago, and we make them all the time. Our 2 year old son even really likes them. I highly recommend them!"