Traditional Funnel Cakes Recipe
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Lingonberry jam or red currant jelly
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and sugar. Combine flour and baking powder; beat into egg mixture until smooth.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the skillet release finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all of the batter is released (scraping funnel with a rubber spatula if needed).
- 3. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm with jam. Yield: 8 servings.
1 funnel cake (calculated without confectioners' sugar and jam) equals 300 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.