When I was in high school, I made these funnel cakes every Sunday after church for my family. They are crisp and tender, just like the kind we always ate at the state fair. —Susan Tingley, Portland, Oregon
Recommended: 50 Pumpkin Patch Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Lingonberry jam or red currant jelly
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and sugar. Combine flour and baking powder; beat into egg mixture until smooth.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the skillet release finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all of the batter is released (scraping funnel with a rubber spatula if needed).
- Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm with jam. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Traditional Funnel Cakes in Reminisce August/September 2010, p47