Toasted Coconut Pudding
I decided to jazz up homemade vanilla pudding to make it taste like a Mounds candy bar. When the miniature chips are topped with the warm pudding, they melt into a rich creamy chocolate that's great with the chewy coconut.JoAnn Moseman, Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk
- until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened
- and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from
- the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return
- all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and
- stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter
- and vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons each of coconut and chips into dessert dishes.
- Top with pudding mixture and remaining coconut and chips. Serve warm
- or refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 365 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.