Here’s an easy recipe for fabulous, chunky salsa. “It’s fast, fresh, low in fat and high in fiber,“ shares Regina Gutierrez. To keep calories down, she serves it with baked or low-fat tortilla chips at home in San Antonio, Texas.
32 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients; toss to coat.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with tortilla
- chips. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 97 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 354 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.