Texican Chili Recipe
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Brown beef in the drippings over medium heat; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add bacon and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16-18 servings.
1 cup: 163 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Texican Chili
"Good recipe! I use ground turkey instead of beef and cilantro instead of parsley. Very tasty!"
"I love this recipe, I like to add a little something with red pepper flakes and hot sauce sometimes as well."
"Good recipe, but being a Texan I have to say....This is neither Texan or Mexican, much less a mixture of the two."
"Good recipe. I don't know why "hunters" loving it would make a difference one way or the other, but tasty recipe nonetheless."
"Good recipe! The meat is so tender after being in the crockpot all day."
"With a food processor, the bulk of the prep time is spent cooking the meat. Really easy n very tasty. My husband suggested adding some red pepper flakes for a bit of a kick."
"This was outstanding! As a matter of fact, I'm making it tonight!!! It's delicious and good for entertaining if it suites the crowd."
"This chili is delicious! I don't bother with the bacon and it turns out great. We have it at least twice a month."
"I doubled the last four ingredients. Very good."
"I *love* this recipe. I make it at least twice a month and love to take the leftovers to work for lunch. I highly recommend it."
"I made this chili and 5 others for my son's coming home party from Iraq the first time, many many people arrived, this was the first one to go. Others had left overs. Hunters love it as well, have been making it for years.sheree320"
"my kids love this chili. i love that is uses ingredients that I always have on had in the pantry and that it makes enough to feed my large family with leftovers to spare."