- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Brown beef in the drippings over medium heat; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add bacon and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Reviews forTexican Chili
"Texians would be the name used by early Texans. Texican is new to me. I, too, am from Texas and this dish might indeed be called Mexican or Tex-Mex hence the term "Texican". Ours is a Mexican family. Mexican food is really very simple and the ingredients in this recipe may easily be found in both Mexican and Tex-Mex homes today and traditionally. The only thing making it more Tex-Mex, I suppose, are the tomato products but they are just perfect for soup but not enchilada sauce or Mexican rice. Tex-Mex chili is not usually made with beans but Mexican chili is. So, I think Texican is a good word to describe it. Lovely recipe and I will love making it but will leave out the beans for hubby."
"I love this recipe, I like to add a little something with red pepper flakes and hot sauce sometimes as well."
"Good recipe, but being a Texan I have to say....This is neither Texan or Mexican, much less a mixture of the two."
"Good recipe. I don't know why "hunters" loving it would make a difference one way or the other, but tasty recipe nonetheless."
"Good recipe! The meat is so tender after being in the crockpot all day."
"With a food processor, the bulk of the prep time is spent cooking the meat. Really easy n very tasty. My husband suggested adding some red pepper flakes for a bit of a kick."
"This was outstanding! As a matter of fact, I'm making it tonight!!! It's delicious and good for entertaining if it suites the crowd."