Swiss Steak Dinner Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 7 to 9 small red potatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds), halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef in oil on all sides. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with onions and potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining salt; gently toss to coat. Add the bay leaf. Spoon tomato soup over top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Place beans around edge of dish. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 440 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 1,187 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.