- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 7 to 9 small red potatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds), halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add beef in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat,brown beef in oil on both sides. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with onions and potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining salt; gently toss to coat. Add the bay leaf. Spoon soup over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Place beans around edge of dish. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSwiss Steak Dinner
"My family loved it! We will make it again!"
"This recipe is absolutely delicious !! After it was all gone it left me wanting more! We will definitely be having it again, and again ."
"I have a very picky family and they did not turn their noses up at this dish. Some of them even had seconds."
"Re: Swiss Steak dinner This was new to us. We loved this dish, and will have if often. DianeK"
"Wow, this recipe is reminiscent of one my mother made back in the 1960s -- it might even be the same recipe! My whole family enjoyed this and I already have requests to make it again."