Sweet Potato Sausage Casserole Recipe
“Most people never consider combining sweet potatoes with pasta and kielbasa, but I adapted this recipe from several others and I’ve received several compliments on it," says Rickey Madden of Clinton, South Carolina. "You can add more cheese or sausage to suit your taste.”
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, sweet potatoes, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC