Sweet Potato Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, sweet potatoes, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Sweet Potato Sausage Casserole
"A family favorite. It is such a good comfort food with great variety."
"I was hesitant to even try this recipe, but it turned out great. I did add extra salt, pepper, and some cayenne pepper for a kick. Will make again"
"I didn't care for this recipe. The sweet potato and sausage worked well together--but with the sweet potato, tomato and pasta did not. The entire recipe seem disjointed."
"This is really good, nice colours in the dish and great flavours too. I had some onion cheddar soup that I had made from scratch leftover, so I used that in place of the heavy cream and omitted the onions from the veggies."
"This is the best casserole I've ever had! I've got 5 different families hooked on it already and not a single person that didn't like it. It's the perfect combination of flavors and it's just as good when reheating it as leftovers!"
"My kids loved this and so did my husband. It is a favorite!!"
"I love this recipe. Sounds like an odd combo but its delicious. I use turkey smoked sausage and veggie delite pasta and convince myself to overlook the fat in the small amount of cream since its got the extra veggie in the pasta and the sweet potatoes so it's got to still be good for me. I've made this several times and considering I don't often go back to recipes, that's a big compliment."
"Kids absolutely loved it, but I found it to not have enough taste!"
"This is really delicious and also quite filling. Next time I'll try adding canned diced tomatoes with jalapenos to add a bit of a kick. Also looking for a lower-fat substitute for the heavy cream.... Would definitely make again."
"At first I was wondering how it would taste but this was really good! My family really enjoyed it but requested a little more kielbasa in it next time. This one's a keeper."
"This was so good! I used a can of Rotel instead of the diced tomatoes, it made it a little spicy. Wonderful recipe! Nice to have something a little different."
"I'll try to replace the pasta for rice and protecting in with a backing foil on the top so the rice dont get too dry"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.