- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 8 ounces Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, sweet potatoes, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add the tomatoes, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSweet Potato Sausage Casserole
"This was an instant family favorite! I did tweak it a little by doubling the amount of smoked sausage, onion, green pepper, and pasta. I also use Italian seasoned diced tomatoes instead of plain, add extra salt and pepper, and about 12 ounces of Colby-jack cheese with some mixed in as well as on top. I am not a fan of sweet potatoes, but this recipe is amazing and immediately took a place in my meal rotation."
"I will not be making this again. It took a lot of time and effort, and the flavor just wasn't there."
"A family favorite. It is such a good comfort food with great variety."
"I was hesitant to even try this recipe, but it turned out great. I did add extra salt, pepper, and some cayenne pepper for a kick. Will make again"
"I didn't care for this recipe. The sweet potato and sausage worked well together--but with the sweet potato, tomato and pasta did not. The entire recipe seem disjointed."
"This is really good, nice colours in the dish and great flavours too. I had some onion cheddar soup that I had made from scratch leftover, so I used that in place of the heavy cream and omitted the onions from the veggies."
"This is the best casserole I've ever had! I've got 5 different families hooked on it already and not a single person that didn't like it. It's the perfect combination of flavors and it's just as good when reheating it as leftovers!"
"My kids loved this and so did my husband. It is a favorite!!"
"I love this recipe. Sounds like an odd combo but its delicious. I use turkey smoked sausage and veggie delite pasta and convince myself to overlook the fat in the small amount of cream since its got the extra veggie in the pasta and the sweet potatoes so it's got to still be good for me. I've made this several times and considering I don't often go back to recipes, that's a big compliment."
"Kids absolutely loved it, but I found it to not have enough taste!"