Sweet Potato Chowder Recipe
"My husband came up with this spicy soup that's a snap to make yet tastes wonderful," says Kathy Whitford of Oscoda, Michigan. Creamy bowls of it are warm and winning on a cool night.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:11 servings
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, seasoned salt, dried oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute celery in butter until tender. Stir in broth, water and bouillon. Add potatoes, sweet potato, turkey ham and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 11 servings.
1 cup equals 161 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 891 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC