Surprise Monkey Bread Recipe
This recipe is really just a glorified Monkey Bread. I also make it with garlic and cheese for dinner sometimes. When my neighbor has her Christmas brunch, this is one recipe that's always requested. —Lois Rutherford, Elkton, Florida
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tubes (12 ounces each) refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into 20 cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat brown sugar and butter on high for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- 2. Flatten each biscuit into a 3-in. circle. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon in the center of each biscuit. Top with a cream cheese cube. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal tightly.
- 3. Sprinkle 1/2 cup walnuts into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the biscuits, cinnamon-sugar and butter mixture and 1/2 cup walnuts. Repeat layers.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (12 servings).
1 slice equals 467 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC