Super Sloppy Joes Recipe
Mother made these fresh-tasting sloppy joes many times when I was growing up. She passed the recipe on to me when I got married. My brother-in-law says they're the best sandwiches he's ever tasted. And he ought to know—his name is Joe! —Ellen Stringer, Bourbonnais, Illinois
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 8 to 10 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
- 2. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun. Yield: 10 servings.
1 sandwich equals 306 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 473 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC