Sunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread Recipe
I've tried other bread recipes, but this one is a staple in our home. I won $50 in a bake-off with a loaf that I had stored in the freezer. —Mickey Turner, Grants Pass, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bread flour, oil, honey, salt and 4 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into three portions. Shape into loaves; place in three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 125 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC