- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bread flour, oil, honey, salt and 4 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into three portions. Shape into loaves; place in three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaves in foil, and place in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews forSunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread
"I've made this recipe several times & it always turns out perfectly. I roll out 1/3, brush with butter then roll up & slice like cinnamon rolls. It makes the most fantastic dinner rolls."
"Made this for the first time today, but it won't be the last. Love it!"
"New staple in our home. Everyone loved it. Thank you!!"
"Followed recipe exactly. The whole family loved it! My daughter said, "It is awesomely good!" One of the better wheat bread recipes that I've tried."
"I'm making this for the second time. Glad I found it again; it's a keeper!"
"still rising, but it smells great"