Steamed Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Warm and comforting, this special dessert from Mary Kelley of Minneapolis, Minnesota is timeless. You'll love its chocolaty goodness and moist, tender texture.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg. Stir in chocolate. Combine the flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well just until combined.
- 2. Pour into a well-greased 7-cup pudding mold; cover. Place mold on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 2 to 2-1/4 hours or until top springs back when lightly touched, adding water as needed.
- 3. Remove mold to a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg.
- 4. Unmold pudding onto a serving plate; cut into wedges. Serve warm with sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
1 serving (1 each) equals 347 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC