- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Stir in chocolate. Combine the flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a well-greased 7-cup pudding mold; cover. Place mold on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 2 to 2-1/4 hours or until top springs back when lightly touched, adding water as needed.
- Remove mold to a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Unmold pudding onto a serving plate; cut into wedges. Serve warm with sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Reviews forSteamed Chocolate Pudding
"I would like to know how much chocolate to use. It is not noted in the recipe."
"What is a pudding mold? Is there an alternative way to prepare this, because I am a chocoholic and it sounds amazing."