Steakhouse Mushroom Casserole Recipe
This meatless casserole is one of my all-time favorites. Loaded with mushrooms and draped in a reich sauce, it's a home-style side dish that will have everyone scooping up seconds.—Rosemary Janz, Concord, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in batches in 1/4 cup butter until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated. In a large bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk, parsley, lemon juice, salt and paprika. Add mushrooms and stir until blended.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; stir in cracker crumbs until blended. Sprinkle over mushroom mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and topping is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 407 calories, 34 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC